THINGS YOU MUST KNOW
Payment of correct Customs Duties enhances national development. So pay your Customs Duties promptly:
- Hand-over only certified cheques to your Agents.
- Demand receipt for all payments made.
- Patronize genuine Customs licenced Agents only.
- You can obtain self clearance license and clear your goods yourself.
- Avoid the use of touts in clearing your cargo.
- Make all certified cheques payable to the Federal Government of Nigeria through any of the approved designated banks.
- Report all cases of extortion or demand for gratification to the nearest Customs Area Controller or the Office of the Comptroller General of Customs in Abuja.
- Delay in clearance of imported goods attracts demurrage and lead to overtime cargo.
- Ensure clearance of your goods within 90 days from the date of arrival at the seaports and 30 days at the airports.
- False declaration of goods will lead to outright forfeiture. Ensure correct declaration always.
- Use of fake documents is crime when clearing your goods. This, apart from forfeiture of the goods, can lead you into jail. Always ensure the use of genuine Customs documents.